LEARN Global FAST® Ultrasound – AFAST® , TFAST® , Vet BLUE® from The Experts and Leaders in Veterinary Point-of-care Ultrasound Since 2005
These courses are ONLY arranged DIRECTLY with Dr. Greg Lisciandro, DVM, DABVP, DACVECC – by contacting him at [email protected] or cell 210.260.5576
9-hours RACE-approved Continuing Education!
Dr. Greg Lisciandro, creator of AFAST®, TFAST® and Vet BLUE® when combined as a single format is called Global FAST®. The Global FAST® standardized format is our new veterinary core skill and serves as “an extension of the physical exam.” Global FAST® provides an unbiased unique set of 15 data imaging points of the abdomen and thorax including heart and lung. The Global FAST® technique is part of Mattoon’s latest Small Animal Diagnostic Ultrasound textbook, Ettinger’s Veterinary Internal Medicine, 9th edition, Veterinary Clinical Advisor, and Veterinary Clinics of North America.
Our teaching techniques are achievable and standardized! They have been developed and taught by Dr. Greg Lisciandro, who has been a General Practitioner, ER Vet, and a specialist in Emergency and Critical Care. Thus, the content is unique, practical and case-based. In other words, “everyday ultrasound for most cases” as “an extension of the physical exam.”
Global FAST® is performed withOUT shaving, often performed low impact in standing position using hand sanitizer gel as our coupling medium, and includes imaging for fluid, obvious soft tissue abnormalities, our fundamental standing TFAST® echocardiography (our unique clock face technique is brilliant!), and Vet BLUE® lung, made so easy with our regional, pattern-based approach, B-line scoring system, and visual lung language. This is a great course and will invigorate your daily practice! See our testimonials here.
The Global FAST® Course Curriculum
Online Global FAST® Lectures are taken with Quizzes. The content has practical, every day case-based AFAST®, TFAST® and Vet BLUE® applications in the lectures followed by AFAST®, TFAST®, and Vet BLUE® hands-on scanning. These 3 formats combined are called Global FAST®.
AFAST® – its target-organ approach, its simple abdominal fluid scoring system, with cases that are practical for the GP, ER Vet and clinical specialist.
- Understand its image acquisition and target-organ approach for soft tissue abnormalities
- Understand its fluid scoring system for the bleeding patient and other subsets
- Understand how to measure the urinary bladder, identify free air, and assess volume status by characterization the caudal vena cava and hepatic veins
- Know how to detect gallbladder wall edema, know its major rule outs, and gain familiarity with the newly described medically-treated anaphylactic hemoabdomen in dogs
TFAST® – its use for accurately detecting pleural and pericardial effusion, the fundamental TFAST® echocardiography views, pneumothorax, and soft tissue abnormalities with cases that are practical for the GP, ER Vet and clinical specialist.
- Understand its 5-view format and each view’s strengths
- Understand the TFAST® rules to follow for the accurate detection of pericardial and pleural effusion
- Understand fundamental TFAST® echocardiography and each view’s clinical utility (volume and contractility, left-sided and right-sided problems)
Vet BLUE® – the 6 Vet BLUE Lung Ultrasound Signs, its regional pattern-based approach for a working diagnosis, practical and heavily case-based.
- Understand it’s 8-transthoracic views and the fundamental orientation of all lung ultrasound, the Gator Sign
- Understand the “wet lung” versus “dry lung” principle and how to develop a working diagnosis with the regional, pattern-based approach of Vet BLUE®
- Understand our novel Vet BLUE® B-line Scoring System and its inherent Vet BLUE® Severity Score
- Understand the signs of lung consolidation called the Shred Sign, Tissue Sign, Nodule Sign, and Wedge Sign
- Understand how to record our simple system for Vet BLUE® findings
- Understand how Vet BLUE® may be used low impact, point-of-care, real-time/time sensitive information for monitoring all respiratory-related conditions using our paradigm
- Understand the limitations of lung ultrasound
Global FAST® – the combined use of AFAST®, TFAST®, and Vet BLUE® as a single format used as an extension of the physical exam.
- Understand its use to prevent imaging interpretation errors that are common with targeted or compartmentalized imaging including “confirmation bias error” and “satisfaction of search error”
- Understand its use for staging patients with localized versus disseminated disease
- Understand its use for searching for diagnostic sampling sites
LIVE Global FAST® Scanning Session are lead by a FASTVet-certified Global FAST® Instructor. Each scanning station is limited to no more than 3-4 attendees. The skills include learning AFAST®, TFAST®, and Vet BLUE® image acquisition, use of the calipers, and color Doppler when available.
Global FAST® Course Resources
- Attendees receive Global FAST® Manuals
- LINK to additional resources including mini-supplementary topics
Testimonials may be found here.
Questions – Contact Dr. Greg Lisciandro at 210-260-5576 or email him at [email protected]. We hope to see you for Global FAST® training! – our new core skill for veterinary medicine.